Oatmeal Breakfast “Cookies”
1/3 cup of old-fashioned oats 1 scoop of vanilla or plain protein powder (about .5 oz)
½ tablespoon of peanut or almond butter**
1 packet of splenda OR 1teaspoon of agave nectar 1/8 cup of milk (I used almond milk, but regular milk works just fine)
** If you don’t want to use nut butter or don’t have it on hand, half of a mashed banana works great here—but don’t leave it out! You need the nut butter OR banana to bind the protein powder, oats and ingredients together.
- Throw oats, protein powder and nut butter (or banana) into a bowl and mash them together.
- When the mixture is well distributed, add milk to moisten the mixture.
- Add sweetener to taste.
- Blend in desired add-ins—try any of the following:
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder (chocolate cookie – yum!)
- Raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruits
- Ground espresso powder
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Canned pumpkin
- Small dose of chocolate chips for an extra treat
- Take the oat mixture and press it onto a plate with the back of a spoon. Try to compact it down and shape it into one big cookie.
- Leave the UNCOVERED cookie in the fridge for several hours, or overnight. The cold air will harden the cookie and soften the oats slightly in the protein mixture.
- In the morning—enjoy! Its great to top with yogurt, fruit, chocolate syrup or enjoy plain!