Beth’s Veggie Lasagna
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 bag fresh spinach
1 cup carrots thinly sliced or grated
Optional: Can also add thin slices of zucchini or other squash, or other veggies to your liking
3 cups part skim ricotta cheese
2 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese
2 jars of your favorite tomato sauce (I like Barilla tomato and basil)
Oven-ready lasagna noodles, preferably whole wheat
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh or dried oregano and basil
Couple pinches of fennel seeds
3 tbs minced garlic
(If you want to add some protein to your veggies, I like 1 lb. ground turkey or lean ground beef)
- Sautee onion, pepper and garlic in large pan until onion slightly translucent. Toss in your carrots and any other veggies and get those sweating
- Throw in the spinach. Cover and let wilt for two or three minutes.
- Add one jar of sauce. If mixture is too thick add all but about 1/3 of second jar.
- Add your spices and simmer
- Next comes the layering: Spread that last 1/3 jar of sauce in a thin layer on the bottom of the lasagna pan. Lay out the first row of oven-ready noodles (don’t overlap them, typically three fit across)
- Spool a couple dollops of ricotta on top of the noodles. Then layer with sauce and veggie mixture.
- Repeat layering steps for at least three layers (more if you have deeper pan).
- Over the top layer of sauce mixture, sprinkle the grated mozzarella
- Bake covered with foil for 25 minutes
- Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes so the cheese can brown a bit.
- Let set for a few minutes after removing from the oven and dig in!