Best Buffalo Chili
1 pound ground buffalo, aka bison
2 large links of turkey or chicken sausage (I prefer the spicy variety)
1 large onion, diced
2 green peppers, diced
1 medium can (16 to 24 ounces will do) crushed tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1 8-ounce package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 envelope chili seasoning mix
1 tsp. tabasco sauce (I used 2 tsp)
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine
1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
2 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup red wine
- Remove the sausage from its casing. Brown in a large skillet with the onions and ground buffalo, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain the fat off into sink.
- The rest can be done in the crock pot or simmered on the stove.
- If using stove, put the meat into a large pot and combine with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer on low for about 2 hours, adjusting salt and pepper and tabasco as it cooks.
- If using crock pot, put the meat into crock pot with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Serve with reduced-fat shredded cheese, if desired, and crackers such as whole grain Wheat Thins or Triscuits.